The Ultimate Chocolate Mousse with Mulled Winter Berries and Brandy Snaps
This is our tried and tested chocolate mousse recipe. It’s so beautiful and really light. I know the Italian meringue is a bit of work, but the extra work makes this recipe so versatile. Once it’s done you can freeze the mousse and it doesn’t affect the structure when defrosted. So you can prepare it in advance. I think this is a great alternative to Christmas pudding, which for me is a little heavy, or you can incorporate those boozy / spiced flavours with the garnish by replacing the berries with boozy raisins and fruit, etc.
If you have any questions or if you want more info on substitutions don’t be afraid to call the hotel.
Enjoy the eating!
makes 12 rings
120g egg yolks
50g stock syrup
110g stock syrup – heated to 120° c
320g dark chocolate 54% (melted)
700g double cream
- Place egg yolks with 50g of stock syrup in a bowl and whisk to sabayon using a mixer.
- Once syrup is 120° c, pour into sabayon. Keep whisking until room temperature.
- Stop the machine and add melted chocolate and 1/4 of the cream. Whisk until smooth.
- Gently fold in remaining cream.
- Fill disposable piping bag and pipe in to rings – reserve for service.
- If you don’t want individual rings place in a big sharing bowl and use hot spoons so people can help themselves.
Mulled Winter Berries
100g red currants
5g vanilla paste
1 lemon – zest & juice
2 star anise
- Place all the ingredients in a pan and add the sugar, leave on a low heat.
- Add lemon juice at the end to balance.
100g golden syrup
100g brown sugar
120g plain flour
1/2 tsp ginger ground
- Melt the butter, syrup and sugar in a pan.
- Sieve the flour and ginger.
- Add the wet to the dry and spread thinly (2 cm) on a baking sheet.
- Bake in oven at 180° for 2-3 mins.
- Allow to cool and use for service.
Quady Elysium Black Muscat
This chocolate mousse recipe pairs perfectly with Quady Elysium Black Muscat from California. It’s one of the few wines that can stand up to a chocolate pudding.
Virtually black in colour with a rose-like aroma and intense on the palate, Elysium’s Black Muscat is full of fantastic rich velvety fruit flavours.